Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Conscience Rule!!

So my friend Jamie sent me this in an email, which really got my attention.
So President Obama seeks to have punitive action taken against doctors and health care providers who refuse to perform abortions or other treatments which are against their religious or personal beliefs.
I found this to be interesting thought. First of all I'm not sure most of you know, but nurses are rated as the most trustworthy of health care workers. I feel that most of this comes from our own personal ethics and beliefs "to do no harm". I can't even imagine HAVING to do anything that goes against my religious and personal beliefs. I feel this takes away the rights of the nurse, to have to do something just because we got a degree that allows up to help in procedures.

Another issue that is big in nursing is the nursing shortage. As most of you know the populations of people are staying alive longer from the amazing advances in the medical world. But this makes for older, sicker patients and we just can't get enough to fill the positions. A big thing for people is the work environment, I can't imagine wanting/choosing to be in a work environment that forces me to go against my moral ethics. Help out by going to the website below and send a letter/email to President Obama opposing your belief in the "Conscience Rule." http://capwiz.com/afanet/issues/alert/?alertid=12821731&type=PR

3 comments:

Coleman Family said...

Thanks Jess for following through on this issue!!

Deb said...

Uugghh! That is awful!

Thanks for the heads up - I hope everyone takes quick action on this one!

Hope you're doing well. We miss you guys!

NicKim Family said...

I went to that website and sent an email...thanks!