Saturday, June 26, 2010

Today's great find!!

So today I picked up my first basket of produce from Bountiful Baskets Co-op.  Can I just say that I'm way impressed.  So just from their website I was thinking this could be a really good thing, and I've been excited since I learned about them from my sister-in-law and her family.
So for those of you who haven't heard of this organization....it's a group of volunteers that have organized a way to get the same produce that we get in grocery stores here at retail prices and they give about $50 worth of produce $15.  So I got registered and got on last Monday, picked a location close to me, picked the conventional basket and also saw that they had a box of peaches for $12.50.  So I was a sucker and bought some of those too. Then once I checked out I payed using a credit card.  They then take the money that you gave them, pool it together, buy produce and then distribute them to the designated areas where volunteers then split up the produce.  Then you bring your container and pick-up the portion that you paid for.
It doesn't sound that magical, and you never really know what you're going to get in your order that week, but it's way cheap and it exposes you to some produce that you've never tried and broadens your horizon.
So this is  a picture of the basket full of things that I picked-up this morning.

I got:
*1 bundle of Swiss chard-Never used it before, but I'm excited
*2 bundles of celery
*1 head of green leaf lettuce
*5 large tomatoes
*4 medium red onions
*2 avocados
*1 lb bag of baby carrots
*1 cantaloupe
*1 bag of red grapes
*1 lb strawberries
*5-6 gala apples
*15-18 plums (I think their black plums)
*1 bunch of bananas

All for $15.00

And don't for get the 25 lbs of peaches- 56 yellow California peaches to be exact.  Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with all of them, but I found at Costco that 5 lbs were about $9.  I only paid $12.50 for all mine.  Anyone want a peach?

4 comments:

Crystal said...

If you have a food dehysdrator, blanch then cut up the peaches and dry them. My roommate and I had an entire shelf in one cupboard absolutely full of dried peaches, pears and apples.

NicKim Family said...

Wow, I've been doing it for three weeks now and I love it too! I think you got more then I have though. The first week they offered a box of tomatoes and I was really disappointed it was too late in the week for me to get them. We haven't had anything like that offered again. I would totally snag a box or two of peaches for canning! I just ate my last jar of home canned peaches :( I'm glad you're enjoying it!! It really is awesome and I'm going to the grocery store way less now too!

Unknown said...

I would kill for a box of peaches for that price. I picked up a few (3) nectarines for a small fortune last week and ate one a day. I was sad when they were all gone, but with that box I would never run out. My favorite thing to do with peaches is peach jam or a peach crisp. Enjoy!

Coleman Family said...

I love Bountiful Baskets. I have been getting them for a month or so. It is so fun too! I feel like it is Christmas morning, 'cause you never know what is going to be in your basket! Love it. : )