Warning, this is a very personal post, but I felt like I needed to write to remember and to share with others who have been there or worse.
So we decided that when we got settled in at our new place we wanted to share with our families as soon as we got settled. So we scheduled a barbecue on the pretense of being a house welcoming party, but dressing Kherrington in the Onesie we made her.

So I know it's blurry, but it says "Big sister in charge," with "Coming November 30th, 2010" on the back
They were taken with my phone and she was moving.
So we were really excited to tell our families and share in our excitement, even though we were just shy of the 12 week mark. Well the night we announced our big news, I started bleeding and ended up bleeding at varying degrees for the next week and few days. Meanwhile I had so nicely accepted the offer of babysitting my brother's 5 kids so my parent's could go with them to Hawaii. It went really well considering, but maybe I should ask Chad since he was the one unpacking and making garden boxes and watching 6 kids... all so I could take it easy. What a great husband/Dad!!
Considering what was going on, we couldn't really take our time in finding a new OB/GYN, so we went with the first suggestion that was given to us, to find that we weren't to thrilled with the office staff and nurse and didn't even want to go to the next visit that would be with one of the PA or NP, since the Dr wouldn't be in til Wednesday. (We were scheduled to fly to Connecticut on Wednesday) So we went searching again, only to find an office staff that gave me more information on the phone than I had received at the previous office visit. And to find that the Dr. had a cancellation and so we got in on Monday the 24th instead of the 25th that I would have had at the other office.
So we had well over a week to stew and worry and really understand possible outcomes of what was happening. When we went into the Dr. on Monday, we were so excited to have such a nice easy to talk to Doctor. And even though he was the one that told us we had lost our baby, I'm so happy to have found someone I'm going to like so well!! He was amazing sensitive and great to help us understand the follow up that was needed, along with comforting us. And he said it was okay to go to Connecticut. I don't know if I would have been so happy if our trip had been cancelled. He also mentioned that when people found out the news that we'd be surprised with how many people have experienced the same thing.
As we've been looking back on the situation and trying to glean everything we could learn from it we have found quite a few blessing in the midst of it. It has been a very big eye opener of what a great blessing to have family close. First of all, my sister-in-law and brother that live in Pocatello with us, offered to make us dinner (all 8 of us) so that I wouldn't have to cook that night. It was great to not worry about it. Also the concern of family and the expression of support during the miscarriage and after we found out the bad news. We found that it was ironic that we started having problems the night we told our families. At first we had just wished we had waited another week before we said anything, but quickly were so glad to have the support we were given.
Another thing that has been good for us is to have the empathy for others that have had difficulties with pregnancy. We have 2 sets of close friends that recently have or are close to losing a baby. It has been a very good thing to be able to understand to a small extent some of the pain and overwhelming sadness that can surround you in those type of circumstances. It makes your prayers more fervent in their behalf. I now know the feelings or what if I hadn't done...... fill in the blank, like help move in the piano during our move!! I can just understand the regret that comes with it.
It has shown me
It has also really helped us to really take the time to enjoy having Kherrington!! What a blessing she is to us, just as all of God's children are. Even though we have been hurt, we wait excitedly for when we will be blessed to have another baby enter our lives!!
And by the way, just cause we miscarried, doesn't mean we don't want to help you celebrate your expecting babies, etc, please share the news!!
Another thing that has been good for us is to have the empathy for others that have had difficulties with pregnancy. We have 2 sets of close friends that recently have or are close to losing a baby. It has been a very good thing to be able to understand to a small extent some of the pain and overwhelming sadness that can surround you in those type of circumstances. It makes your prayers more fervent in their behalf. I now know the feelings or what if I hadn't done...... fill in the blank, like help move in the piano during our move!! I can just understand the regret that comes with it.
It has shown me
It has also really helped us to really take the time to enjoy having Kherrington!! What a blessing she is to us, just as all of God's children are. Even though we have been hurt, we wait excitedly for when we will be blessed to have another baby enter our lives!!
And by the way, just cause we miscarried, doesn't mean we don't want to help you celebrate your expecting babies, etc, please share the news!!





11 comments:
Jess - that was so beautifully written. Our prayers have been with you guys since Mom told us about the miscarriage. You have such faith and such strength. Our prayers will continue to be with you guys are you adapt back to Idaho life. We miss you all terribly and hope to see you soon!
I'm sorry to hear that Jessica. I'm glad it seems to be going well for you, with all the support you've received. I've always felt that I would rather tell people and then have a miscarriage than not to tell them. One, for the support they will give, and two, so it's not akward mentioning it down the road. Isn't it amazing how different pregnancies can be? When I was pregnant with Austin, I wouldn't have known despite the hige tummy, for all the symptoms I didn't have. This one is quite different with quite a few challenges. Love you guys and miss you tons. Again, sorry to hear the news, but thanks for sharing.
I don't know which I more want to do -- hug you and share my love and sympathy or hug you and share my love and gratitude. Thank you for sharing this account and for doing it in an inspiring way. I know all of these things happen for a reason. You got pregnant a little earlier than you'd planned, but you embraced that excitedly. Now this pregnancy doesn't go as you'd planned and you embrace that courageously. I'm so proud of you and excited for life to unfold so eventually you'll understand why. Love you!
Jess, I am so sorry for your (and Chad's) loss. You are so incredible and I admire your perspective. While I have not had a miscarriage, I know several very special girls who have, and my heart goes out to each of them. I am so grateful Heavenly Father knows each of us and blesses us in so many ways. I miss you! Lots of Love.
sorry about your loss. family is a wonderful thing! i love your attitude and reflection on everything.
Jess you are so amazing! I can't believe the optimism you have even during times of trial and pain. You are seriously my inspiration! My heart goes out to you. I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot begin to imagine the heartache you must be feeling. Know that I love you and your little family is in my prayers!
My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. You are a darling family, and I can't imagine how hard that must have been. Thank goodness we have the gospel, and the gift of eternal families. Lots of love.
Jessica, so sorry to hear about your loss. I had a miscarriage after I had Ava. It was a difficult time, but I felt an even greater appreciation for Heavenly Father. He wants those physical bodies to be just right for each spirit, and when they aren't He has a way to start over. It doesn't make it any easier, but He really does love us and those spirits He is sending us.
I'm so sorry but so glad to hear you're so positive.
I always randomly find your blog and love reading about your life, but I was so sad for you and your loss. I too have experienced a miscarriage and it is no picnic. It took me a lot longer to be positive about things and now looking back it was all a blessing. I hope you are still doing well. We are expecting in November - our first boy!! (have 3 girls)
Email me at tiffanytidlund@yahoo.com if you want an invite to our blog!
Hang in there!
Jess, I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage but am so glad to hear that you had a nice and caring doctor. You know, we wonder why things like this happen but in times like these we feel the Savior's love through friends and family. I am glad to hear that you have been surrounded by love. Good luck! We miss you guys and wish the best for you always!
Post a Comment