Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Knock at the Door

So last night, we had a knock at our door.  We don't usually have visitors in the evening, so it was a bit unexpected.  And it was a member of our new ward that brought Chad a little gift.  It was wrapped in a little green rag.  I'm not sure what it was at first and I just got Chad.  Well upon opening it....it was a very new born bird that had fallen out of the nest that was way out of reach for this brother to get back in the nest.  He has several kids that were distressed about the bird and I think that he appeased them by telling them he'd take it to the Vet.  So funny.
Chad had told me about people bring birds and squirrels and other items that were beyond being able to fix to the Vet school.  I don't think that Chad thought that it would continue after he graduated.  So really not much we could do, so Chad said that he'd take care of the bird, after he died.
So Chad was telling me after everything was over that Kreal (Chad's older brother) and him when they were younger would put firecrackers in the mouths of the little birds that had fallen out of their nest when they opened their mouths to be fed. So Chad had no idea what to do with the bird, especially cause bird are considered to be exotic animals in Vet school so it's a specially training at school that Chad didn't have time for because of his other training he chose to do in large and small animals (cat and dogs).  I was laughing so hard, cause I can just imagine Chad trying to figure out what to do with this bird that was brought to him.  It was a cute little bird, we feel bad that we weren't able to do anything for it, but we don't even have a ladder to put it back into the nest, if we could have even located it.
Just made me laugh really hard, I can't believe that Chad did that when he was younger, and now I have to ask his SIL Tonia all about it, cause she was dating Von when they were doing that.  Can't wait to get the scoop from her!!

2 comments:

Kenny & Stacy MacConaghy said...

LOL! Sad as it sounds, that was the highlight of so many summers growing up. My little brothers and I still talk about the birds who fell prey to BBguns and firecrackers.

Deb said...

Those boys did lots of mean things like that! I'm not sure Chad ever blew up one of JaNae's Barbies with firecrackers though. Kreal and I did.

Just be glad he didn't show you what a firecracker does to a baby bird. It's not pretty.