Thursday, March 4, 2010

Valentine's Day Ski Trip-Sat. Feb. 13th

For Valentine's Day, we went night skiing on the 13th!!  Since we are at my parent's for several internships/SIPEs, we went to Kelley's Canyon.  My dad works at the INL and they had an employee discount night so skiing was only $15.00. Now Chad and I haven't ever been skiing together.  The last time I was skiing was in 2003, and the last time I had snowboarded was in 2005 when I was still learning how.  So it had been a while, we were both a little nervous
My brother Derek, his wife Brittney, and their 3 oldest kids(all girls), my dad, Chad's nephew Derik, Chad and I all went.  We had such a good time overall.
The first half of the night we all skied and we were going all over the hill.  Kaia, Halle, and Ellisi all did really well and I sure had fun watching them go down the hill.  They are all pretty new to the skiing, but they did great.  Chad and I each got to take turns going up the ski lift with them.  It was way fun, just to be with each of them and see what they'd choose to talk about on they way up the hill.
Once we were trying to pick which run to go down and Halle decided that she wanted to go down the one we had chosen not to go down, so I ended up going down the run with her to keep an eye on her and we met the others half way down the hill.  She did really well for how steep it was and did end up going a little fast and then ran into the unused snow on the sides and she wiped out.  But up she went, on her way!  There was no stopping them.
We then went in and had dinner and Dad had already bought us a meal ticket through work. THANKS DAD!!  So we enjoyed an hamburger and fries.  After dinner Derek and I decided to trade in our skis for snowboards, Derek using Brek's board, and I strapped on my board that hadn't been used in years.  So Derek and I decided to stay on skiers lane and didn't go anywhere above that.  Ellisi got hit in the head by another snowboarder the first run after dinner and was done, so Halle and Kaia paired up with Chad and Derik and skied all over the hill.  While Derek and I stayed where we didn't have any cat tracks.
I was amazed at how much harder I had to work at the snowboarding.  Man I was sweating like crazy.  Then on the second time up the ski lift, Derek got caught by the lift chair and we went crashing.  Wow did I bang up my knee.  So then every time I biffed it on the way down the slope, I would always hit that spot.  So then I would try to land differently and then I would hit my butt so hard!!  I couldn't believe the beating I was taking.  It was crazy that as I was working on my carving, that the turn from my heel side to my toe side came easier to me, when it used to be the most difficult side for me to do years before.  But I did get much better.  Once when we were heading down to the lodge, I was situated with my goofy foot first and on the bunny hill (which is flat, I hate flat on a board!) I ended up catching an edge and ate it hard.  I actually even hit my  helmet on the snow just a little.
I also got to see Anna and Lisa Meyer, my good old buddies that were helping me learn how to board before I met Chad and moved away.  I talked with them for a while waiting for Derek, Chad, and the girls to come down the hill.  I finally found them on my way into the Lodge.  But they wanted to stay right by me and I made them ski ahead because I didn't want to wipe them out, or let them see me eat it again and I knew I would.  But wouldn't you know as soon as they went ahead then I was able to get to the lodge without any problems.
Now after we got home and the next day was another story.  I was so sore all over, but really my neck was stiff.  I ended up visiting my uncle Larry for a few chiropractor adjustments for my WHIPLASH!!
Can you believe it.  I got whiplash on the bunny hill!!  I was stiff and sore through my neck for about 1.5 weeks.  It was crazy, but well worth it.  I realize I'm way out of shape and need to do that type of thing more often, Skiing and boarding, not the whiplash.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Holy cow Jess! Way to be hard core ha ha.

Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

Yeah as embarrassing as it was to admit all that...I figured I'd better put in for journaling sake. Oh Man!!